By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
2015 Sav/Chatham County Homicide Total through Sun. Feb. 8: <b>5</b>
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Man killed in house on Barnard; roommate says the shooting stemmed from a robbery

Detectives are investigating the fatal shooting of a Savannah man “at a house he was renovating on Barnard Street near Victory Drive Friday night,” a police spokesman says.

James Adams, 54, died after being transported a hospital following the shooting near Barnard and West 43rd streets.

“Central Precinct Patrol officers responded to the shooting call at 10:44 p.m. to find the deceased man and his roommate at the residence,” police say.

“The roommate was interviewed and released early this morning, after telling police that the victim was robbed by a black male who fled the scene after shooting the victim.”

Lovett sentenced to 7.5 years

Former Savannah/Chatham Metro Police Chief Willie C. Lovett was sentenced today to 90 months in federal prison, seven and a half years, for his conviction in gambling and extortion charges. He was also fined $50,000.

Lovett, 65, resigned in September 2013 as news spread of a sexual harassment allegation against him by a married female officer. The federal charges followed shortly thereafter. He was found guilty in November 2014. 

Two separate Super Bowl weekend shootings investigated

“Investigations are underway into the shootings of two men in separate incidents over the weekend,” police say.

Ronald Lee Williams, 61, reported he was shot in front of his house on the 2000 block of Nash Avenue about 3:30 a.m. Sunday when he looked into a car that had bumped into one belonging to a visitor. “Two males were standing near the cars when he walked outside,” police say. “One of the males entered a second car and fired at him as it drove away. He returned the fire.”

Around 4 p.m. Saturday, Damion Seaborough, 24,” drove himself to a hospital for a gunshot wound. He said he was outside a house on Oleander Avenue when a projectile struck him. Officers were unable to establish a crime scene,” police say.

WSAV anchor helps collar PetSmart perp

Citizens took action Monday night “when a man robbed a pet store, chasing the suspect into the middle of Victory Drive and holding him for arriving police,” a police department spokesperson says.

Stephen Bernard Kibler, 44, of an East 39th Street address, was charged with robbery by intimidation after grabbing money from a cash register at PetSmart on Victory Drive about 9 p.m.

“WSAV-TV anchor Russ Riesinger was behind the man in the checkout line, witnessed the robbery and chased Kibler into the median on Victory Drive where he and another bystander held him for police,” the spokesman says.

Chief Joseph H. “Jack” Lumpkin Sr. praised the efforts of Riesinger and the unidentified citizen, but he cautioned citizens to make thoughtful, reasonable and prudent decisions about becoming physically involved in captures.

Plot thickens in Bay Street attack

“New information on the reported attack on a Florida couple on Bay Street Monday morning has Metro Police investigating the possibility of charges against the reported victims,” a police department spokesperson says.

Video obtained from a Bay Street business “seems to indicate that Corey Walters, 38, of Riverview, FL., instigated the confrontation that required medical treatment for him.”

Angel Little, 36, initially told police “the couple had been attacked, beaten, kicked in the head and face and robbed by five to six males who left in a maroon sports sedan. The video refutes most of the couples’ account,” police say.

According to police, the video shows Walters walking away and returning to confront two men standing on the sidewalk. “The confrontation increased between the men after Little walked up with her dog. It appears from the video she attempted to get between the men as her boyfriend struck one of them,” police say.

“Other men, possibly those first identified as the assailants, approached to break up or join in the affray that crossed Bay Street several times before Walters was left lying on the sidewalk.”