By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
<b>Crazy in a Camaro</b>
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

from recent Savannah/Chatham Police incident reports

A convicted felon wanted in connection with a string of shootings was wounded after being shot while trying to run over police.

Stanley Latwan Hall, 24, was wounded Feb. 21 in the parking lot of Memorial Health University Medical Center.

Agents with the U.S. Marshal’s Southeast Fugitive Task Force and officers with the Savannah-Chatham Metro Police were chasing Hall shortly before 1 a.m. Agents opened fire after Hall repeatedly rammed a barricade of police cars, then aimed his vehicle at officers in an attempt to run them over.

Police scrambled back to their cars as Hall made his escape. His Camaro was abandoned in the 2200 block of DeRenne Avenue.

Hall managed to get a ride to St. Joseph’s Hospital after eluding officers. Task force agents and police found him there and arrested him without incident. Hall is charged with multiple counts of aggravated assault on a police officer, felony obstruction by fleeing, criminal damage and interference with government property and other traffic violations, and also faces a parole violation. No officer was injured.

The task force, in conjunction with Central Precinct officers, had been searching for Hall since Jan. 24 when they linked him to a string of shootings throughout the city. On Feb. 20, officers learned Hall’s whereabouts and converged at Memorial Health to wait for him. When they tried to arrest him, Hall plowed into the police cars and fled.

The respective agencies are investigating their agents’ involvement in the shooting. The man who drove Hall to St. Joseph’s was held pending further investigation.

While searching for Hall, officers spotted a PT Cruiser speeding away from the area and subsequently arrested the driver after a lengthy pursuit. Police later identified the driver as Andre Bonds, 19, after he abandoned the car in the 1200 block of East 69th Street. He was taken to jail on drug charges unrelated to Hall’s escape.

• An officer on routine patrol in the area of Georgia 204 and West Gateway Boulevard observed a vehicle with an expired tag and initiated a traffic stop, then called for back-up. A woman was driving and she had a male passenger.

The officer explained why he was stopping them, then noticed three open containers of alcohol in the front passenger compartment. There were two eight-ounce plastic cups filled with liquor and a smaller plastic bottle that was open.

Dispatch advised the officer that the vehicle wasn’t covered by active insurance. The officer asked the driver to produce some identification, but she didn’t have any.

The woman said she’d never had any type of valid license. The passenger explained that the vehicle belonged to his baby’s mother.

After a few more questions, the woman revealed that she had a probation warrant for auto theft from California. Back-up units arrived and the woman was asked to step to the back of the vehicle.

She was placed under arrest and a search incident to arrest resulted in a handgun being found under the driver’s seat. The man was placed in handcuffs for safety reasons.

Both told the officers they had no idea that the handgun was in the vehicle. Both were arrested.

• An East Waldburg Street resident told police her live-in boyfriend had grabbed her arm and pulled it behind her back. The woman was complaining of arm pain, so EMS responded and the woman asked to be taken to the emergency room.

An officer spoke with the boyfriend, who said the woman was being disorderly as he tried to sleep. He said she was drunk and was trying to pick a fight with him by throwing a cup of beer at him.

The man said there was no violence, and there were no signs of physical violence. There was an empty cup and beer on the floor.

The woman smelled of alcohol and was very disorderly by raising her voice. The man was in his pajamas.

The officer contacted the ER and spoke to a nurse who told him the woman had been released with no signs of injury. The officer had been dispatched to the same residence in the past in reference to a disorderly person, and each time the same woman had been intoxicated.