By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Classic Blotter: St. Paddy's Day Edition
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Some peace-disrupting blasts from the past to get you in the mood for what's in store this week:

• An officer walking patrol during the St. Patrick’s Day festival saw several firefighters running towards the Savannah River from the Abercorn ramp.

The officer then saw a man who was climbing out of the water. The officer saw that the man had bloodshot eyes with large pupils, and noticed he smelled like alcohol. He was taken into custody and charged with Swimming Prohibited in Certain Waters, a city ordinance, and public drunkenness. Before he was taken to jail, he was asked if he’d been drinking alcohol. “Yeah,” he replied. “I had a lot, obviously.”

• An officer on foot patrol noticed a large, disorderly group of men at the Bull Street ramp on River Street during the St. Patrick’s Day festivities. The men were harassing people who passed by them, and at one point, three of them ran into a crowd to try to catch another man.

At one point, the officer heard one of them say, “I thought we were going to get to punch someone.” The officer was informed by a colleague that the group of men was trying to pick fights with passersby. Backup was called, and the officers began to approach the group.

One ordered the group to leave the area, and most complied. However, one, a juvenile, began to walk in the opposite direction, and when the officer again told him to leave the area, began to argue.

At that point, the officer tried to arrest the suspect, but the suspect refused to allow the officer to put him into handcuffs.

The suspect was told several times to “give me your hands, stop resisting,” but he continued to struggle with officers.
One of the officers gave the suspect four or five knee strikes in an attempt to bring him down, but he continued to fight. He was then struck three times in the ribs, but continued to struggle.

After being sprayed with pepper spray, officers were able to grab the suspect’s right arm and he was arrested and cuffed. He was charged with disorderly conduct, obstruction by resisting and violation of curfew, then treated for his injuries at the scene by Medstar.

Officers tried to reach his mother, father and stepfather, but were unsuccessful, so the suspect was taken to a youth detention center. Two other men in the group were arrested a short time later after they also refused to leave the area.

• A Boston police officer was among those arrested after forcing his way into the home of two women in the 500 block of East State Street.

Thomas Joyce, 46, of Roxbury, Mass., entered the house around 10:30 p.m. He told the women he was a police officer and assaulted them by physically restraining them and pulling them out of their house. Joyce took nothing from the house and fled the scene. The women called 911 and within minutes of the report, officers caught Joyce not far from the scene of the crime. Detectives charged him with false imprisonment, simple battery, obstruction and criminal trespass after the victims identified him.

• A Bluffton, S.C. man was arrested after restaurant employees told police he was refusing to pay his $65.88 bar tab.
He repeatedly told police he refused “to pay the crack whore’s tab,” but was charged with theft of services and taken to jail, anyway.

• A couple was arrested outside an East River Street restaurant after police observed the man kissing the woman while sliding his hand into her pants.

The cheeks of the woman’s buttocks were partially exposed. Both were charged with lewd caressing or fondling and taken to the Chatham County Detention Center.

• A man from Ireland was reported missing during the festivities. The man was with a friend from Fayetteville, and reportedly got mad at her and got out of her car and started walking on Lincoln Street.

The woman told police she was worried about him because he’s not from around here.

The man was described as a white male with an Irish accent, wearing an Ireland National Soccer jersey with the Irish flag on his right shoulder.

• Shortly after the St. Patrick’s Day parade, police were called to Broughton and Bull streets because of a lookout posted on a woman who had run a barricade.

An officer observed a strong odor of alcohol on the woman, who was cuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car after she became disorderly. Another officer approached the patrol car and released the woman, who said she understood her rights and waived her right to an attorney.

She asked to use a restroom, and was escorted to a nearby restaurant. The woman said she drove from the parking garage to where she was stopped. She said she was looking for her family, but when asked about it later said she was headed back to work. Her eyes were red and glassy, her words slurred and she was unsteady on her feet.

When asked how much she’d had to drink, she replied, “I’ve only had one drink and it was a Bloody Mary.” When asked when she’d started drinking, the woman said about 10 a.m. when she first got downtown.

She was asked to take some tests to determine if she was okay to drive The woman failed an eye test, a walk-and-turn test and a one-leg stand. When asked to submit to a preliminary breath test, the woman tested positive for alcohol. She was arrested for DUI and taken to the Chatham County Detention Center.