By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cops & copper
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Police investigators are searching for one more suspect following the arrest of several others charged in a west Savannah copper theft ring.

Metro investigators believe that at about 10:35 p.m. on Aug. 25, thieves breached a locked fence at Southern Metals Recycling on the 2800 block of Tremont Road, entered the building, and made off with roughly $6,000 of bare bright metal wiring stored inside.

The next day, Metro responded to reports of a man attempting to sell the stolen scrap metal back to the company. The suspect ran when approached by a patrol officer, resulting in a foot chase and arrest of 24-year-old Devon Washington of a Franklin Street address, in a wooded area near 48th and Edwin streets.

Investigation by SCMPD uncovered additional suspects: Antonio Easterling – 800 Block of Tatum Street; Elliot Moore, 28, of the 900 block of Staley Avenue, Sherica Williams, 32, of the 40th block of Lawton Street, Darrell McPherson – 800 Block of Sherman Avenue; Ceairra Heyward, 27, of Yamacraw Village, and Craig Reed, of the 5100 Block of Wendell Street.

Subsequently two others were arrested: Martique Nashawn King, 27, of the 3300 block of Ogeechee Road and Anthony Gene King, 30, of an East 65th Street address.

All arrested subjects face conspiracy charges including criminal attempt at burglary, criminal damage to property in the 2nd degree, and possession of tools for the commission of a crime.

One additional suspect remains at large: Diqwane Dreshawn Butler, 19, of the 800 block of Tatem Street, a black male with short hair, weighing 180 pounds and standing 5-8.

• The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the fatal shooting of an armed man by Metro police.

Chief Willie Lovett requested the GBI investigation after the shooting of Samuel Frazier, 56, on the first block of Amy Street on the southside.

 Lovett requested the GBI's involvement to assure transparency of the investigation.

 Frazier was shot after police surrounded the house about 10 a.m. He was transported by Southside EMS to Memorial University Medical Center where he died. No other injuries were reported.

• West Chatham Precinct detectives have identified and located the woman who started a fire in a Wal-Mart Store Aug. 20 to allow her to leave with a basketful of stolen items.

Tips from the public through Crime Stoppers led to the arrest of Kena Young of the 700 block of East 37th Street at her place of employment about 12:30 p.m.

She has been charged with arson first degree, terroristic threats, giving false statements, and shoplifting.

The incident took place at the Wal-Mart at 6000 Ogeechee Road around noon.

• A 42-year-old Savannah man escaped serious injury when shots fired at the vehicle he was in grazed his lip but left him otherwise uninjured.

Detectives are investigating the 9:40 a.m. shooting of Alvin Martin who was treated at the scene on the 200 block of West 73rd Street by Southside Fire EMS. Martin's cooperation with the investigation initially was limited.

 Anyone with inform is asked to call Crimestoppers at (912) 234-2020.

or text CRIMES (274637). Tipsters remain anonymous and may qualify for a cash reward. A confidential Tip Line also is open directly to investigators at (912) 525-3124.