By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Damn good dog
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

from recent Savannah/Chatham Police incident reports

One of Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Department’s K-9 crime-fighters is retiring because of illness.

Bruno, the first of five Belgian Malinois to start the department’s K-9 Unit in 2001, has been diagnosed with cancer. He will require extensive treatment to extend his life and was scheduled to begin treatment on March 12 at a Jacksonville, Fla., veterinarian hospital. His last day on the job was February 27.

During his tenure, the local Humane Society named Bruno “Top Dog” after he managed to capture a suspect who tried to drown him on Wilmington Island.

With more than 265 arrests and assists, 78 evidence searches, 96 tracking missions, 525 narcotic searches and 216 building searches, Bruno will retire at the honorary rank of Sergeant.

• Two people have been charged with making false reports to the police.

Sada Latrell Chisholm, 22, of Savannah, lost $1,500 during a drug transaction. She told police she had been robbed at gunpoint and gave a written report of a crime that never happened. Chisholm called 911 around 6:30 p.m. on March 4 and reported that a man had robbed her at gunpoint, taking $1,500 from a check she said she recently cashed at Adler’s Package Shop on Duffy Street.

Detectives became suspicious when the store clerk told them no checks had been cashed for Chisholm. Upon further investigation, detectives learned that Chisholm was attempting to buy a pound of marijuana from the man she claimed had robbed her. She had given the cash to the suspected drug peddler, who promised to return to her car with the drugs after retrieving them from an apartment in Frazier homes at Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard and Emerald Drive. Instead, the man fled with the cash without turning over the drugs.

Police also learned that Chisholm was involved in an earlier unrelated altercation, which involved threats and violence. A search of her car turned up a small caliber handgun they believe was used in that incident.

Savannah-Chatham Metro detectives arrested Chisholm shortly before 7 p.m. at police headquarters after she gave a written report of the bogus crime. She was taken to the Chatham County Jail. In addition to the false report, Chisholm was charged with other misdemeanor violations, including filing false statements, criminal trespass and reckless conduct. She was arraigned in Recorder’s Court and held on a $2,000 bond.

Police say Chisholm is the second person arrested in one week for filing a false police report. Metro detectives also arrested a 15-year-old girl on March 3 after she filed a report claiming she was sexually assaulted. After police investigated, the teenager admitted to making the false report. Detectives charged the teen and released her to her mother.

Filing a false report with police is punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $1,000 fine. However, anyone convicted of making false statements during the course of an investigation could face felony charges, which carry a penalty up to five years in prison.

• A Ferguson Avenue resident told police she believes her identity was stolen because she is receiving large bills for purchases she didn’t make.

The woman said she got a bill from Alltel for more than $300 and a bill from Dell for more than $3,000. She said she uses her mother’s address for her mail, but hasn’t lived with her mother for more than 13 years.

The bills are going to her mother’s address. The woman said she doesn’t know how someone could have obtained her information to open the accounts. Both accounts were opened on the same day last October.

• A Java Place resident told police she was sitting in her living room when a man knocked at her front door. She asked who it was, and the man at the door said he wanted to come inside and “Lay down.”

The woman told the man to go away, but instead, he started kicking her front door. She told the man she was calling the police, and he left.

The woman told police she once had a relationship with the suspect. The door was damaged in the incident, and the woman asked for a report. She was given a case report number card.