By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
False advertising
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

A man told police he shot another man because “he had not received crack cocaine he had purchased.”

Patrick Russell Stafford, 49, of a Waters Avenue address, was charged with aggravated assault after the 9:23 a.m. shooting in the 600 block of East 38th Street. Nolan Biggins, 42, of a Cowan Street address, was transported to Memorial University Medical Center for treatment.

Stafford told police he had not received crack cocaine he had purchased from Biggins and others so he left and returned with a gun.

• Police charged a homeless man in the manslaughter of a man found dead in the Savannah River after a fight.
Warrants charging Michael Myers, 34, with voluntary manslaughter in the death of Willie Miller, 42, were filed Saturday.

Murder charges originally had been reported.

The two men became involved in an altercation on the river walk about 9 p.m. during which both fell into the Savannah River.

Myers climbed out. Miller’s body was found almost two hours later by divers from SCMPD and Savannah Fire. Myers was located soon after.

• A woman was arrested after leading police “on a wild goose chase” and giving false information.

Jacqueline Harbin, 25, called police to report she had been assaulted. She claimed that she was approached by a suspect and that the suspect grabbed her, assaulter her, pushed her to the ground, and held a craft knife/box cutter to her neck. Harbin advised that she fought the suspect and was able to get away from him.

She told police that this occurred at a dance studio on White Bluff Road around 4 p.m. She gave a description of the suspect and police began looking for a man matching that description. The area was dusted for fingerprints and the neighborhood canvassed for suspects.

After video surveillance was reviewed, it was discovered Harbin was never actually assaulted and that the marks left by the box cutter were most likely self inflicted.

“Valuable resources were utilized  that day that could have been put to better use elsewhere in the city,” police say.
Harbin was arrested and charged with false statements.

• Police closed Daffin Park Saturday after several fights broke out while youth football league teams were playing.

Officers saturated the park just after 2 p.m. when the fighting started. No injuries were reported. The park reopened about an hour later.

Three adults and four juveniles were taken into custody, including one teenager who fired three shots and then fled into Ardsley Park.

Quamelus Lee, 17, was arrested by patrol officers and a detective after a footchase. He was found under a parked car on East 45th Street.

He was charged with carrying a deadly weapon in a public place, possession of a firearm by a subject under 21, reckless conduct and obstruction of an officer.

The other two adults arrested were high school students.

Police insist there’s “no connection between the games and those involved in the incidents.”