By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
If it seems too good to be true
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

A woman called the Islands precinct to file a fraud report. She explained to the officer that three weeks prior she had entered a contest in Nevada to win $8 million and a vehicle.

She was later contacted by an individual who told her to wire money necessary to cover shipping of the vehicle. She was contacted several more times with other instructions to wire additional funds as well. In total, she sent more than $5,000 over the course of a week to several different people. The elderly woman said that she still has several of the phone numbers she was called from by the individuals. At one point, she was called by a person who identified himself as an FBI agent from Chicago who told her that what she was doing was illegal, and that she needed to wire an additional $2,500 to him. He gave her two phone numbers to call, and said that when someone answered the phone to give them the passcode 123F to receive further instructions.

• Police were called by a man in reference to disorderly conduct, the man said that he could hear loud arguing from his neighbors in the apartment below him. He described the argument as two females yelling and slamming doors. He then heard a loud scream, which is what prompted his call to the police. The responding officer went to the neighbors’ door and knocked several times but received no answer. There was one light on inside, and the man who reported the incident said the neighbors’ cars were still outside. Because he was unable to make contact with the couple, the officer was unable to investigate further.

• Shortly after 3 a.m., an officer in a marked patrol vehicle was headed eastbound on Hwy 204 when he noticed a car having trouble maintaining its lane. After following the vehicle for one mile, the officer had seen the driver completely leave the lane on the right side of the road three times, including once correcting himself with a jerking motion. The officer initiated a traffic stop. When he approached the driver side of the vehicle, the officer noticed the driver puffing away at a cigar and acting nervously. Because of the smoke, the officer couldn’t detect an odor of alcohol, and the driver, when asked, denied drinking anything. When asked again, he said he’d had a couple beers. The officer asked the driver to step out of the vehicle and noted that he appeared to be unsteady on his feet. The driver consented to a portable breath test, and noted that he would not pass because he was 20 years old, and that the legal limit was .02 grams for him. The officer reported that the youngster seemed well aware of procedure and laws pertaining to DUI. The portable breath test result of .151 grams was nearly twice the legal limit if he had been 21.

• An officer was walking along Broughton Street one night when he saw a young man remove the lid from a city trash can, pull out the paper garbage bag and slam the sack on the sidewalk, spreading its contents all over the place. The officer jogged toward the trash smasher and yelled for him to stop. The guy paused, turned toward the officer, then took off running. The officer pursued him, catching up at Congress Street and knocking him off balance. The litterbug landed on his stomach at which time the officer tried to cuff him. The suspect turned and tried to elbow the officer, who avoided the strike and countered with a karate chop to the face stunning him long enough to get cuffs on. Another officer arrived and photographed the suspect’s injuries (a chipped tooth and blood from his mouth) as well as those to the officer (a small laceration on his pinkie). The suspect was transported to Memorial. While at the hospital, he was informed of his charges, which included littering, obstruction by fleeing and felony obstruction by resisting.