By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Killer at large
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Police are investigating the shooting death of a Savannah firefighter who interrupted an attempted robbery in a bar parking lot in Sandfly area.

Wesley Franklin, 21, was in Deb’s Pub and Grub off Skidaway Drive on Norwood Avenue just after 2 a.m., when he heard a shot and stepped outside.

He saw a black male attempting to rob some patrons and who had apparently fired the shot. The gunman fired again, this time at Franklin, and ran as Franklin returned inside the business.

Franklin died in surgery after being transported to Memorial University Medical Center. Police saturated the area but as of this writing no suspects had emerged.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at (912) 234–2020 or text CRIMES (274637). In the body type, include “CStop2020” plus the tip. Tipsters remain anonymous and may qualify for a cash reward.

Sandfly area merchants have also banded together to offer a reward for information.

• A Savannah man wanted for shooting a woman driving her grandchild home turned himself in to police.

Kemarseilles Defuente Harvey, 19, of the 5100 block of Wendell Street, surrendered Saturday afternoon to face two charges of aggravated assault.

Wanda Butler, 53, of the 500 block of Ewell Street, was leaving a family gathering when she drove onto Sherman Avenue beside Staley Heights Park and pulled over to park about 10 p.m. Her young grandchild was in the car with her.
Several men were congregating in the park and shots were fired, including one that struck Butler. The child was not injured. Butler was transported to Memorial University Medical Center where she was admitted for treatment of a non–life threatening injury.

• A 14–year–old Savannah youth was charged with six offenses after stealing a pickup truck, striking two women pedestrians and crashing into a utility pole.

The teenager turned herself in, accompanied by her mother, after police began investigating the events in the area of Waters Avenue and Ott and 39th streets.

She has been charged with theft by taking (auto), reckless conduct, driving without a license, two counts of failure to report an accident with injuries,  and hit and run.

She has been transferred to the Youth Detention Center. The Major Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) is continuing to investigate and is contemplating additional traffic charges.

The teenager had entered the truck that was left in the parking lot of the Pennysaver convenience Store at Waters and 39th with keys in the ignition about 10:35 a.m.

She drove to Ott Street where she swerved and struck two women talking on the side of the street, and then crashed into a utility pole.

Vickie White, 46, of the 900 block of East 39th Street, and Georgia Thomas, 68, of the 1000 block of East 38th Street, were transported to Memorial University Medical Center.

Thomas was admitted for treatment of injuries described as serious. White was treated for minor injuries.