By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Kitten tossed from bridge rescued
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Police are seeking the public's help in identifying the person who threw a 10-week-old kitten over the railing of the Diamond Causeway Bridge.

Officers rescued the male kitten that survived the fall into the water, swam to shore and got stuck in mud. He is recuperating at the Metro Animal Control Shelter.

Construction crews reported hearing a noise before seeing the kitten fall toward the water.

• Two men received non-life threatening gunshot wounds in the Cuyler Brownsville area of west Savannah on July 9.

James George, 30, of the 1900 block of Staley Avenue was found injured near West 39th and Burroughs streets by Central Precinct officers responding to a shooting call about 1:24 a.m. He was transported to Memorial University Medical Center for treatment.

Shortly after, Braylon Williams Gary, 19, of the 500 block of West 38th Street, arrived at the hospital with a gunshot wound as well. He was arrested for a pre-existing warrant after treatment.

Detectives continue to investigate.

• Police are sorting out the details of a July 10 shooting that left a man with non-life threatening injuries on the Waters Avenue corridor.

Malik Wilson, 20, of the 1500 block of East 33rd Street was transported to Memorial University Medical Center after the 12:35 a.m. shooting at Live Oak and East 34th Streets.

He told police he was walking with two other men when two males appeared and began shooting at them. The three men fled and Wilson was found a few blocks away with the wound.

• Police are investigating the theft of a car left running while its driver was visiting a friend Wednesday night.

Officers heard shots being fired about 11 p.m. and discovered a 35-year-old Savannah man near Whitaker Street and Park Avenue.

The man reported he had fired a handgun at the 1996 Infiniti he had left in front of a house after another male had entered it and driven away. The suspect had reportedly ridden up on a motor scooter driven by another male, who also rode away.

The Infiniti was found on fire at Java Place and Duffy Street about 90 minutes later.