By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Meet your machete
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

A man was sitting at his mother’s house when a woman came to the door and asked to speak with him.

His sister, who’d answered the door, left the house after she notified him of the visitor. The woman at the door ran into the house and began to ask the man to give back the items he took from her house. The man said he had no idea what she was talking about, and asked her to leave. The woman persisted and ran into his room, She was rummaging through his belongings and screaming at him when she grabbed a machete out of its sheath and began to swing it around. She chased him through the house and out the door. A witness outside waiting for the man saw the woman and drove off in order to avoid damage to her car. The man made it back inside and closed the door, locking it. The machete wielding woman caused significant damage to the screen door. The man had a small cut on his finger. The man ran out the back door. The woman attempted to follow him. He was picked up by his mother a few blocks away and police were notified.

• Police were called about a report of a body floating in the river. Upon arrival, the officer saw a body face down in the water wearing a brown long sleeve shirt, blue jeans and white tennis shoes. The officer advised a back-up unit to make contact with witnesses while he tried to keep up with the body, which was floating down the river. Dispatch was advised to send Marine Patrol. Detectives arrived on the scene. The body was transported to the Army Corps of Engineers on Hutchinson Island, where it was identified as a female. A forensic officer took pictures and finger prints. The remains were transported to the GBI crime lab. It’s believed that the woman took her own life, however, autopsy results are pending.

• Police were dispatched to a cell phone store on Abercorn Street in response to a man passed out on the side of the road. When the officer arrived, he found the man lying on his stomach and unresponsive, but breathing. When he woke the man up and asked him how much he’d had to drink, the man replied “too much.” The officer asked if he could check his pockets for his ID and he consented. The officer found three small bottles of whiskey on his person. He was arrested for public intoxication.

• An officer driving north on Montgomery Street stopped a black SUV that turned the wrong way onto a one way street. The driver handed over his license, registration and proof of insurance. He then fumbled around and told the officer that he had given him the wrong insurance card (which he hadn’t) and proceeded to give him the insurance card for another vehicle. The officer noted the smell of alcohol coming from the driver whose eyes were bloodshot and glassy. The officer asked if he’d been drinking and he replied that he had taken a shot of whiskey at about 2:45 a.m. while working at his job as a bartender. The officer asked if he’d consent to a field sobriety test, which he did. The driver failed the horizontal gaze nystagmus test, but also mentioned he had a “lazy left eye.” During the walk and turn test, the driver had difficulty maintaining his balance. During the stand on one leg test, the driver raised his arms too much to maintain his balance and then put his foot down and asked if he could stop counting. The driver refused to submit to a preliminary breath test and was read the Implied Consent notice for suspects over 21. He was transported to CCDC.