By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
More shootings
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police are investigating a shooting that fatally injured Ivory Carter, 51, on Wednesday night July 30.

Officers found Carter near Hampstead Avenue and Rogerwood Street when they responded to a shooting call about 10 p.m. Carter was transported to Memorial University Medical Center where he passed away. 

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call Crimestoppers at (912) 234-2020 or text CRIMES (274637) using the keyword CSTOP2020. Tipsters remain anonymous and may qualify for a cash reward. A confidential Tip Line also is open directly to investigators at (912) 525-3124.

• Savannah-Chatham police are investigating two separate shootings Sunday.

The first happened around 6 a.m. at 35th Street and Waters Avenue. One man was transported to the hospital by ambulance.

Around 7:15 p.m. Sunday night police were called to the 1200 block of Cordell Street near Staley Avenue. A male in his late 40s had been taken to a local hospital by private car in what appeared to be a domestic incident.

• Edwin Fripp, who was charged with aggravated assault, armed robbery and criminal attempt at murder by Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police, was arrested by officers with the U.S. Marshal’s Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force last week. He is accused of robbing a 21-year-old Savannah man at gunpoint in east Savannah.

• A Savannah man wanted for seven violent felonies including murder by the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office in Charleston, South Carolina was arrested in Savannah by U.S. Marshals on Aug. 4.

James Torres Wright, 24, was wanted on seven violent felony charges which include: Murder, Attempted Murder, Burglary, Weapons Offenses, Accessory before the fact of Attempted Murder and Accessory to Burglary. All of the charges were committed in a span of three days between July 11 -13.

Investigators conducted an extensive investigation and determined that Wright had fled the area and possibly returned to Savannah. This information was then forwarded to the Savannah Marshals Fugitive Task Force to locate and arrest Wright.

An investigation was conducted by the Savannah Marshals Task Force and information was generated that Wright was possibly in the Yamacraw Village area. The task force narrowed the location to an apartment at 1163 Yamacraw Village.

Investigators surrounded the apartment building and met the resident of the apartment. The resident called Wright and he surrendered to the Task Force and was arrested without incident.

Wright was transported to the Chatham County Jail to await extradition proceedings to send him back to South Carolina.