By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
SAV/Chatham Homicides in 2015 so far: 18 (6 solved)
Edwin Lawrence Chapman

Homicide on Eastside; possible connection to earlier shootout

Homicide detectives from the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department are investigating the fatal shooting of a 34-year-old male last Thursday night and a possible connection to a shootout on Laroche Avenue the same evening.

Jamon Epps was found in a black 2015 GMC Yukon “with multiple bullet strikes about 9:41 p.m. while officers were investigating shots fired calls a half-mile away moments earlier,” police say.

Epps was found deceased in the Yukon on the driveway to Ponderosa Apartments.

Patrol officers were investigating an incident “in which two parties began shooting at each other near a strip center at Laroche and Skidaway Road just before 9 p.m.,” police say.

“Bullets from the shootout had shattered the glass door at the Top China restaurant on the 4400 block of Skidaway.”

A few minutes later, a 50-year-old woman reported a male “had approached her as she tried to enter her car at a laundromat nearby, demanded her car, pulled her out of it and drove away in her white 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Detectives found the Malibu parked on Maryland Street in the Avondale neighborhood about 1 a.m. Friday.”

Double shooting on Eastside leaves one dead

A man has been arrested after Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police responded to a double shooting in the East Savannah neighborhood last Friday morning.

Edwin Lawrence Chapman, 55, of the 2200 block of Mosley Street, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime. Additional charges are pending.

Rosalyn Maria Chapman, 62, was declared deceased of a gunshot wound in the house and Odetta Hampton, 54, was treated for a gunshot wound.

Patrol officers were called to the residence for a shooting report at 2:44 a.m. Chapman met them at the door and was detained immediately after police found the two women with wounds. He was subsequently charged after the investigation progressed.

Three indicted for Matthew Ajibade death

Three former employees of the Chatham County Sheriff’s Dept. have been indicted in the death of 21-year-old Matthew Ajibade in the Chatham County Detention Center under unusual circumstances Jan. 1.

The two former sheriff’s deputies and a contract health-care worker at the Chatham County jail were indicted Wednesday on felony involuntary manslaughter and related charges. No murder charges are pending. 

A total of nine employees were terminated in the wake of the incident.

Ajibade was ruled to have died from excessive force from use of a Taser while he was restrained after a scuffle with deputies at the jail.

The health care worker was indicted for not monitoring him while in restraints. The deputies were also charged with falsifying reports to cover up the circumstances of Ajibade death. 

Sheriff's Office warns of ongoing jury duty scam calls

The Chatham County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) wants to alert the public “about an ongoing scam involving the CCSO and court system,” a spokesperson says.

The CCSO has received over 20 calls in the past 72 hours from potential victims, according to the spokesperson. “Their stories all mirror that of previous victims. The caller orders them to pay a fine because of a missed jury summons and subsequent contempt of court fine. The suspect has identified himself at Sgt. Jackson and orders unsuspecting victims to go to Kroger to buy a Kroger card to pay their fine.”

It is possible to receive a call about a jury summons, says the CCSO, “But we will never demand payment or ask for personal financial information.”