By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Shouldn't doesn't mean doesn't
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

from recent Savannah/Chatham Police incident reports

A man driving on the Truman Parkway near the East Victory Drive exit was stopped for driving 74 miles per hour in a 55 mile-per-hour zone.

When the officer spoke with the driver and his female passenger, the driver said he knew he was speeding and apologized. When his driver’s license was run through dispatch, the officer was advised the driver was wanted for Failure to Appear.

A back-up officer arrived, and the man was taken into custody for Driving on a Suspended License.

After the man was placed in the back of the squad car, the woman was asked to step out of the vehicle. She complied, and a search was performed of the vehicle.

The woman was asked if there was anything in the vehicle the officers needed to be concerned with. She looked at her purse and said, “There shouldn’t be anything in there.”

An officer told her, “Shouldn’t doesn’t mean isn’t,” and she then said the man had recently bought some marijuana. She said he had her conceal it in a cigarette box in her purse.

The suspect was asked if he was aware that there was marijuana in the vehicle. He knew about it and that it was his.

A small baggie with a green leafy substance was found in a cigarette box inside the purse. The suspect was charged with Possession of Marijuana Less than an Ounce, and charged and cited with Driving on a Suspended License and Speeding.

The marijuana was logged into evidence, and the man was taken to the Chatham County Detention Center. The officers said the suspect remained polite and respectful throughout the incident.

• A man was robbed at gunpoint after dropping his car off at an East 39th Street repair shop.

The man told police that two men approached him and began talking to him, but he tried to ignore them and continued walking away. One of the suspects pulled out a silver/black semi-automatic pistol and said, “You know what time it is. Give up your stuff.”

The suspects made the victim get on the ground, then stole his T-shirt, shoes, $200 in cash and the keys to his car. They got into a car and were last seen turning south onto Skidaway Road.

The robbery occurred about 30 minutes before the victim called police. He said he went to McAlpin Square to use a phone and then a family member drove him to headquarters.

Officers searched for witnesses to the robbery. The repair center has a digital camera which possibly recorded the robbery.

• Police were called to a Lynah Street apartment complex after a man was robbed at gunpoint.

The victim said he was robbed by four males, two of whom were armed. He said one suspect was holding a hand gun and the other had a black semi-automatic pistol.

At the time of the robbery, the victim was picking up his girlfriend, who lives at the apartment complex. He said he recognized one of the suspects as a former high school classmate, but the other three had shirts over their faces to hide their identities.

The four walked past the victim and went into the breezeway of a building. They returned a few minutes later with the guns.

One of the suspects said, “You know what time it is. Give me what you got.” The suspects made the victim turn around and put his hands on his car, then went through his pockets, taking his wallet and one dollar out of his front pocket.

Inside the wallet were two credit cards. One of the suspects took the victim’s cell phone, then threw it back on the hood of the victim’s car.

The victim drove home and called police. Forensics was called and attempted to find fingerprints on the cell phone.

• Police were called to a motel on Ogeechee Road on a report of a burglary.

The manager led the officer to an area with several small storage sheds. The locking device had been pried off one of the sheds. An alarm on the shed didn’t sound because the suspect knew what type of alarm it was. Apparently, a small object was placed between the door and the alarm trigger.

The lever was then pulled away from the switch and opened without sounding the alarm. The building was checked for fingerprints.