By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Shouting obscenities at police: still a bad idea
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

An officer patrolling West Bay St. noticed a group of people headed in the direction of Williamson St., and one of them was acting extremely disorderly. The officer asked the man to calm down and explain the situation.

The man said “they” were fighting with him and then “they” took off in a car. Another man approached and identified himself as the upset guy’s brother. He told the officer “everything is ok. We are all family. There is no problem here.” The upset guy continued to be upset, which the officer suspected was related to being under the influence of alcohol. The officer also noted that the guy had bruises on his face and a bloody mouth. Another officer arrived and the man calmed down enough to talk to him. His brother said that they wanted to go home, and was told that they needed to leave the area without any more shouting of obscenities. They began walking away and the second officer advised that he had been at Deja Groove where he’d stopped the upset guy from fighting on three separate occasions that night before finally asking him to leave the premises.

Just when things seemed like they had calmed down, the upset guy began shouting at the police, “motherf***ers, you ain’t sh*t, motherf***ing police.” The officer headed toward the man, who then began running eastbound on Bay St. He began to resist the officers when they caught up with him near Bay Lane and Bull St. He was taken to the ground and handcuffed. The transport wagon arrived, but the man refused to stand up claiming his legs were broken. Three officers lifted the man into the van, who continued shouting obscenities and claiming that the “officer tried to kill me and rape me and tried to rob my children.”

He was examined by a nurse for his injuries from the fight earlier, then transported to the hospital for further treatment. He was charged with disorderly conduct and obstruction by fleeing.

• Police were called in reference to a person with a knife. Upon arrival, the responding officer met with a security guard at Stillwell Towers who said that police had already been to the building twice, earlier that night, in response to the suspect making false claims of criminal activity. About an hour ago, the man had gone back to his room, grabbed a small paring knife, and then asked the security guard to come help him find his keys. The security guard reported that now there was an audible alarm sound coming from the man’s apartment, but that he couldn’t enter the room because of the previous weapon related incidents, including one when the man pulled a gun on a security guard. When officers made contact with the man, he claimed that his ex–wife had been kidnapped and was being held hostage in the building somewhere. While talking, the officer noticed a black messenger bag nearby, and asked the man if he could take a look inside. The man agreed, but said there were no weapons inside. An officer opened the bag and found the paring knife reported by the security guard. Because of his behavior, the man was ruled a mental patient and given a warning about his behavior. The knife was logged into the SCMPD property room.

• CNT agents busted a marijuana growing operation in the Victorian District, but two of the suspects had eluded them. After seeing their pictures on television and news websites, the suspects turned themselves in. In other bust news, Ronnie Wilson, who was wanted for the murder of Reggie Williams after a drug deal gone bad in the Windsor Forest neighborhood, was found by U.S. Marshalls and SCMPD at a house on Rankin St. last week. They found him hiding in the shower.