By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
St. Patrick's Special Edition
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

from recent Savannah/Chatham Police incident reports

A tornado in Effingham County caused a four-county power outage on Saturday, March 15. Savannah-Chatham Metro Police say more than 7,000 people were on River Street and thousands more were in City Market when the storm struck around 10 p.m. Generator-powered lights were hauled in to move pedestrians to shuttles and out of the festival zone. Officers in the downtown area used their blue lights for illumination until the lighting equipment arrived, and within 45 minutes, sections of River and Bay streets were lighted. At midnight, it began raining, but by 1 a.m. most of the pedestrians were out of the area. On Friday, an estimated 42,000 people partied on River Street, but the number of arrests was lower than usual. From 5 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday, 38 people had been arrested on River Street and in City Market, as compared to more than 50 the year before.

• A Boston police officer was among those arrested on Friday after forcing his way into the home of two women in the 500 block of East State Street.

Thomas Joyce, 46, of Roxbury, Mass., entered the house around 10:30 p.m. He told the women he was a police officer and assaulted them by physically restraining them and pulling them out of their house.

Joyce took nothing from the house and fled the scene. The women called 911 and within minutes of the report, officers caught Joyce not far from the scene of the crime. Detectives charged him with false imprisonment, simple battery, obstruction and criminal trespass after the victims identified him.

• A woman told police she had been pushed by a bar employee after attempting to get a refund after paying a $5 cover. The woman said the power went out, so she asked for a refund. The employee refused and pushed her.

• Early Sunday, three women got lost during the power outage and ended up at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and West Gwinnett Street. The three said they were approached by two men at the bus stop. The men pulled out a silver revolver and pointed the weapon at one of the women and demanded the two purses she was carrying. The purses were handed over and the men fled the scene.

• A couple was arrested outside an East River Street restaurant after police observed the man kissing the woman while sliding his hand into her pants. The cheeks of the woman’s buttocks were partially exposed. Both were charged with lewd caressing or fondling and taken to the Chatham County Detention Center.

• A man from Ireland was reported missing during the festivities. The man was with a friend from Fayetteville, and reportedly got mad at her and got out of her car and started walking on Lincoln Street. The woman told police she was worried about him because he’s not from around here. The man was described as a white male with an Irish accent, wearing an Ireland National Soccer jersey with the Irish flag on his right shoulder.

• Garden City police officers stopped a man walking north in the 800 block of South Coastal Highway early Sunday. The man said he was walking away from the St. Patrick’s Day festivities and stopped at the Alamo Plaza motel on West Bay Street to get a room for the night. He waited in the lobby for a short while but no one was there. The man went outside and began talking to a group of men standing out front of the motel. He told them he needed to rent a room, but one of the men kept telling him that he needed to get out of the area. Others began yelling at the man, so he began walking farther down Bay Street. At some point, he was approached by a man who robbed him.

• An officer was called to East River Street to transport a prisoner. The officer was inside a business, waiting to take charge of the prisoner, when someone told him his squad car had been damaged. The person who reported the damage led the officer to the suspect. The suspect was handcuffed and led back to the squad car. The passenger side mirror had been broken and was dangling by wires. A woman who witnessed the incident said the suspect only broke the mirror because several people in the crowd encouraged him to do it because he was so drunk. The man was charged with interference with government property and public drunkenness.

A shot of downtown soon after the power went off