By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Suburban Cowboy
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

A Savannah man reattempted a burglary where he had failed the day before, but was foiled again.

Justin Edward Boykin, 27, was arrested by Islands Precinct officers after a neighbor talking to Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police via cell phone tracked him from a residence.

He has been charged with five counts of burglary in the first degree and two counts of criminal attempt at burglary.

Metro police had saturated the area near Sea Island Road and Nassau Drive where five burglaries or attempted burglaries had been reported Thursday afternoon. Prescription drugs and cash had been taken in the burglaries.

A victim whose residence had been involved Thursday reported seeing a man behind a neighboring house where a burglary had been attempted the previous day. He followed the suspect who was bleeding from his hand and advised police of his location.

Patrol units had locked down nearby May Howard Elementary School as a precaution. They learned Boykin had cut his hand breaking into a house on Nassau Drive.

• One Savannah man is hospitalized and another is in custody after witnesses followed a hit and run driver from East Bay and Abercorn streets early this morning.

Edwin Willie Rivera, 28, was stopped after he ran a red light at East Broad and President streets about 2:25 a.m. That's when a witness identified him as the driver during a previous incident as well.

Meanwhile, Andrew Seskey, 21, was being transported to Memorial University Medical Center with serious injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Officers said Rivera was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer in the right hand lane of Bay Street headed east when he struck Seskey.

Seskey was walking across Bay against the traffic light at the time. Alcohol was identified as a contributing factor for both parties.

Rivera was charged with hit and run, failure to report an accident, DUI less safe, failure to stop at a stop sign and failure to obey traffic signals.

• A Savannah man who reported he had been assaulted, robbed at gunpoint and left tied up in his own living room on Sept. 4, has been charged with falsely reporting the crime.

Timothy Daniel, 28, of the first block of Belfare Drive, was charged by detectives with false statements and false report of a crime after a two-month investigation.

That investigation revealed that the crime he had reported never took place.

Southside Patrol officers had been called to the residence and found Daniel bound hand and foot with plastic ties. He said he had been struck over the head, robbed of some $1,400 by two men with blue bandanas over their faces, and left tied up.

"These false reports tie up a significant amount of resources," said Interim Police Chief Julie Tolbert.

"Officers are pulled off their assigned duties to locate, secure and protect the crime scenes. Forensics investigators are brought in to document the sites. And detectives are reassigned from active investigations to these fraudulent cases. No police department can afford to waste such resources."