By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Your brain on crack
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

from recent Savannah/Chatham Police incident reports

An officer traveling east on Anderson Street saw a pickup truck traveling eastbound. The driver was making lane changes without signalling and without a tag light.

The driver turned on the left signal and made a left turn onto Paulsen Street, then a left turn into Henry Lane. The officer went to Henry Street to observe the vehicle, and saw it stay idle in the lane, then after about a minute, it went westbound.

The officer stopped the truck and the driver told him she was a “little bit lost”. The officer asked for her driver’s license, but the woman said she didn’t have it on her.

A passenger in the truck handed the officer his driver’s license. When the officer ran the driver’s information through dispatch, she was found not to have a driver’s license but she did have a warrant for failure to appear.

The woman was arrested for the warrant and driving while unlicensed. The officer put handcuffs on her and placed her in the squad car until a second officer arrived to perform a search. While the woman was in the squad car, the officer noticed her shifting around. The officer advised her not to put anything in the vehicle.

A canine officer was brought to the vehicle and alerted. An off-white crack-rock-like substance, which later tested positive for cocaine, was found behind the driver’s seat. A crack pipe was found in the back of the squad car. A push rod commonly used to pack a crack pipe was found in the woman’s purse.

The passenger was left with the vehicle because he was the owner. The woman was taken to the Chatham County Detention Center, and the crack pipe and cocaine were logged into the property room.

• A man staying at an Abercorn Street hotel told police he went to another room to speak with a co-worker and when he knocked on the door, another man answered.

The co-worker jumped out of bed and before he could react, struck him in the face. The man had a swollen, black right eye. The suspect said the victim came to his room and refused to leave. He said he told him to leave and then he “put him out.”

He said he didn’t strike the victim at any time. Two witnesses stated they went back to bed after the victim came to the room and neither saw what happened.

• A woman told police she came out of a Gwinnett Street grocery store and noticed that her vehicle had a different tag.

Her tag was reported as stolen, and police checked the tag that had been left in its place. It came back as belonging to a Savannah man with an entirely different type of car.

• Police were called in response to a purse snatching that occurred on Penn Waller Road. The victim told an officer that her boyfriend demanded that she give him her pain pills. When she refused, he snatched the purse off her shoulder, breaking the straps, and then hit her in the left side of the face.

The officer didn’t notice any visible injuries, and the woman refused treatment by EMS. She said she had taken the pills and left the empty bottle in her purse, along with two antibiotics.

The woman said her boyfriend is addicted to pain pills and has been abusive to her in the past. She said her bank card, checkbook and $2 in cash also were in the purse.

Police went to the apartment the two share to speak with the suspect. He told them he didn’t know anything about the victim’s purse or its contents.

• A man told police that his truck had been stolen from a fenced-in lot on Tremont Road, then later saw it on a pile at a recycling company.

He said he approached the owner of the recycling company and asked how his truck had gotten there. The owner told him that another man had sold the truck to him. The owner contacted the seller and told him to call the truck’s owner and return the truck to him. The victim said the suspect did contact him and agreed to return the truck’s engine and transmission, but never showed up.

The owner of the recycling company said the suspect did remove the truck from his site. The victim said he went to the suspect’s address to ask about the truck, but said the suspect pretended not to know which truck he meant.

A copy of the bill of sale and the suspect’s I.D. were taken from the recycling company by police and logged in as evidence.