By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Three house fires in 13 hours
ConnectSavannah Import Default Image

Savannah Fire & Emergency Services firefighters battled a third house fire in just over 13 hours this morning when flames erupted in a home at 16 W. 50th St.

"Firefighters arrived on the scene just before 8:00 a.m. and encountered heavy smoke and flames in a front bedroom of the one-story brick house," a spokesman reports.

"They were able to extinguish the flames quickly and limit the bulk of the fire damage to the bedroom however, the remainder of the house sustained heavy smoke and water damage. The resident was not home at the time of the fire. He indicated to firefighters that he had left the house approximately three hours before the fire started. There were no injuries as a result of the incident."

Savannah firefighters battled two house fires within an hour and a half of each other Thursday evening. The first one occurred at a duplex in the 400 block of W. 41st St. Firefighters encountered heavy fire conditions when they arrived on scene just after 6:35 p.m.

"It appears the fire started in or near a shed at the front of the structure. Flames traveled up an exterior wall and entered the attic through the eaves," the spokesperson says. "Firefighters were able to contain the flames to the attic but were forced to remove ceilings in the upstairs apartment to ensure there was no trapped fire on the interior."

There were no injuries reported and firefighters were able to retrieve a pet dog unharmed from the building. A total of five occupants were displaced from the apartments.

As firefighters were clearing up from that scene, a second fire was reported at a home on Savannah’s Westside. Just after 8:05 p.m., firefighters were sent to 2128 Mell St. in the Hudson Hill area of the city.

Arriving firefighters reported heavy flames and smoke conditions at the one-story house. The structure sustained extensive fire damage to the living room area and smoke and water damage throughout the remainder of the structure.

One resident was home at the time of the blaze. "He indicated to fire investigators that the fire started at an outlet in the living room and quickly extended to draperies and furniture. The resident was able to escape the home uninjured. He and his wife were displaced due to the fire."

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist all of the affected residents and Savannah Fire investigators are examining each scene to try and determine causes for each fire.